So you want to enjoy an espresso at home, and you want it fast. This is the guide for you! It’s no surprise that the word espresso comes from the Italian word meaning express, as this type of coffee is made lightning fast in comparison with most other coffee brews. Espressos are also designed to be served and consumed immediately, so the next time you get a craving, keep these quick and simple tips in mind:
- When you purchase the espresso coffee beans, make sure you select a preferred roast level and region, depending on what kind of a mood you’re in. Be sure the beans were freshly roasted, either from the coffee shop, or by checking the roast date on the store bag.
- Grind the beans using a top-quality burr grinder. You want to make sure the beans are ground at the espresso grind setting or until they are as fine as granulated sugar.
- Make sure your espresso machine is clean and filled with filtered water.
- Fill the brew basket (portafilter) with espresso grounds, gently packing them down to provide an even extraction.
- Place the filled portafilter back into the machine and start it.
- The creamy espresso goodness should drip into your cup, ready for you to enjoy!
- Store any unused espresso.
- Clean your machine.
There’s no reason why you shouldn’t be able to have a great shot of espresso anytime you want it!